Friday, August 27, 2010

The Walking Tour Continues...

Today the photos are all taken around the St Paul area where Rue de Rivoli becomes Rue de St Antoine.

The Hôtel Sully is a grand, neo-classical building on Rue de St Antoine, with two rather busty sphinxes guarding the entrance to a courtyard and a particularly lush and pleasant orangerie. The building houses the Caisse Nationale des Monuments Historiques et des Sites (like the National Trust or Historic Houses Trust) and is, apparently, not be confused with the rather sleazy and down-at-heel tourist Hôtel Sully next door, which a friend had the memorable misfortune of staying in once on a previous visit.


Loved the company car, covered in logos from the various and instantly-recognisable historic sites around France.


Have enjoyed a few quieter days in the studio this week, which means I haven’t been very far afield collecting images. It doesn’t seem to matter, though - even the most familiar streets of my neighbourhood (i.e. the ones en route to the supermarchémais oui, life in Paris is so glamorous!) are still filled with new things to photograph every day.


Feeling somewhat despairing about the very slow progress I seem to be making with my French over these last few weeks and without a TV or radio to listen to, I was delighted to find that - in a desperate attempt to get French viewers hooked on the programme like English and Australian audiences before them - TV1 are streaming whole episodes of French Masterchef on their website!

I wonder if it will help me communicate more meaningfully with the check-out girls at aforementioned Franprix and G24? (I’d hate to end up parodied in a tome such as "Les Tribulations d'une Caissiere" or “Life on the Tills” in English http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/4029292/French-check-out-girl-becomes-best-selling-author.html)

A post devoted entirely to food is definitely overdue and on its way, but meanwhile I shall be back to this little boutique, apparently devoted entirely to produce from Corsica, (including, I hope, the cheese advertised above, brebis or ewe’s milk cheese being a particular favourite of mine).

These fabulous discarded limbs in a shop window are just two of the reasons I do love my quartier and yes, of course I would ramasse, if I had a dog (wish a few more dog-owners felt the same)!

No comments:

Post a Comment