Friday, August 6, 2010

Avoir du Chien (1)

With mid-summer so evidently in the air and the streets full of holiday-makers including many Parisiens, strolling with their four-legged friends, it was only a matter of time before this dog-lover's thoughts would turn to this subject for the first (but possibly not the last!) time. So I may as well just go ahead and get it over with!

Parisiens' on-going love affair with their pooches is (literally) still in evidence all over the city. The ubiquitous miniature poodle still seems to be a popular choice for a canine companion amongst a certain demographic, though I must say I noticed a definite trend towards pugs and miniature bulldogs on the sidewalk cafes of Beaubourg yesterday. Not quite sure what this means though.

Meanwhile, closer to home in the 4ème, the latest Entante Cordiale continues apace with a spectacular and unexpected celebration of all things British and Pedigree. These two fine specimens are just two examples of the endless variations of canine and English themed homewares and soft-furnishings, including similarly eclectic combinations of Double-Decker buses, Union Jacks, Old English Sheepdogs and Jack Russells. Something for every lifestyle and taste...

Based on all this early retail research, I'm really angling for an invitation into to a local French person's house - what a riot of puppy love and anglophilia I've got to look forward to! I also wonder if, when I pop back to London for a visit, I should prepare myself for the latest rage to be Louis XIV?

No comments:

Post a Comment