Monday, September 13, 2010

Rock, Sexe & Poesie

Went to the cinema today (the cute little Latina on Rue du Temple – love all these independent cinemas here) to see ‘When You’re Strange’, a documentary about the Doors by Tom DeCillo. I can’t say I know much about the Doors (the music is ubiquitous but the band was a bit before my time), but I‘m a huge fan of the director. ‘Living in Oblivion’ is one of my favourite films ever.

It was a pretty standard sex, drugs and rock’n’roll type biog, though it was fascinating seeing the original footage of the group performing and to see how charismatic Jim Morrison was before pyschedelics and booze got the better of him.

He’s so inextricably linked to Paris too! One of my most surreal Paris moments ever featured a group of worse-for-wear Spanish tourists sitting round the bust of poor old James Douglas, which marks his grave in Père Lachaise cemetery.

On my last visit there – more than six years ago – the custodians had put up barricades round the hallowed spot to protect it from the unbridled adulation of his fans (and I read that the bust was stolen in 1990! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/crudbud/823884656/)!

Apparently the Doors still sell over a million albums a year – who knew?

No comments:

Post a Comment