Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Asphalt Jungle


While in the Marais yesterday afternoon, I noticed that this enduring image of Marilyn had not endured very long at all, fly-posted as she was on the side of a building - already gone without a trace, even though I’d taken this photo just a couple of weeks ago.


Here are some other classics, which I’ve snapped on my wanderings, which seem to have lasted somewhat longer, though with Paris traffic, it’s amazing that they’ve managed to stay in such immaculate condition!












The Place de la Concorde (pictured below in the Peugeot advert like no-one living has ever seen it!) is surely the ultimate Roundabout of Death (previous title-holders include Hyde Park Corner in London and the Stones Corner Roundabout near my parents' place in Brisbane), with at least six lanes of vehicles - push-bikes, scooters, cars and buses - all veering wildly, jockeying for position and all this on completely unmarked cobblestone roads and of course, to my way of thinking – all driving on the wrong side of the road! (Mercifully, they seem to have a couple of traffic lights installed these days)

I usually have to close my eyes, even though I’m only ever watching it from the relative safety of a window seat on the 72 bus!


No comments:

Post a Comment